It's Time for Some New PRs
I was very slow when I first started running in 2004, jumping into marathon training with no mileage base. I got injured during training and had a slow first marathon. But then I stated running shorter distance races and improved my pace. After a number of years with few races, I came back with a gusto at the end of 2011. In 2012 I started running multiple marathons and half marathons, and I earned new personal records (PRs) in both of those distances. But my times suffered in other distances.
|Marathon PR earned at 2012 Grandma's Marathon|
|Half Marathon PR earned at 2012 Rock 'n' Roll Providence Half Marathon|
As of now, all of my PRs are too old. I want to get back to a better pace and beat some of those old stats. Once I get through my fall race season (or maybe even during it), I'm going to work on earning some new PRs. I won't share my PR times in the blog, because it's not the actual times that matter; it's the relative times. It's about competing with myself. But here's a summary of when and where I earned my current standing PRs in each distance I've run.
In 2006 I earned one PR that still stands:
- 2006 - 10 Miles - George Washington Parkway Classic in Alexandria, VA
Looks like 2009 was a fast year for me with several PRs that still stand:
- 2009 - 5K - Ohio State Fair 5K in Columbus, OH (I won 3rd in my age group)
- 2009 - 5 Miles - Navy Five Miler in Arlington, VA
- 2009 - 10K - Clarendon Day 10K in Arlington, VA
- 2009 - 4 Miles - Fairfax 4 Miler in Fairfax, VA
Then in 2011 I ran a new distance. My PR from my first 15K still stands:
- 2011 - 15K - Hot Chocolate 15K Washington DC (actually in Maryland)
- 2012 - Marathon - Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN
- 2012 - Half Marathon - Rock 'n' Roll Providence Half in Providence, RI
I earned a new PR in 2013 only because it was a new distance:
- 2013 - 17.75K - Marine Corps 17.75K (an odd distance for sure, but I've run it twice now)
And one new PR in 2014 that still stands:
- 2014 - 8K - St. Patrick's Day 8K in Washington, DC
No new PRs in 2015, and only one so far in 2016, and again, that's because it was a new distance:
- 2016 - Quantico 12K in Quantico, VA
So, other than the recent 12K PR, which I don't expect to break anytime soon (mainly because there aren't a lot of 12Ks out there), all my distance running PRs are old. I've also gotten older, but I'm ready to prove that I can get my times back down and perhaps break some of my own records in the next year.