2018 Running Goals

As reported here, I fell short of meeting my 2017 running goals. I was on track for some good success until two things happened: 1) I became injured, which was not under my control; 2) I started a new job and failed to adjust to my lack of free time - this, I could have done better to mitigate. But I'm feeling great about 2018 already. I'm in a better place than last January, both mentally and physically. Soon, a move to a townhouse in the Merion Village neighborhood of Columbus will put me closer to the Scioto Trail, Schiller Park, and to two of the three local groups that I run with.


Saturday morning training run with CWRC; this one was technically from 2017 (December 30), but it shows I'm getting out there even in bad weather, and I plan to keep that up

In addition to working on consistency with my training, I plan to pick up where I left off before last year's injuries. That means working on speed with the intent to earn some new PRs this year. Here we go.

My 2018 Goals

  • I will lead the 11:00 pace group for CWRC. Unless I am out of town, ill, or have a really good excuse (like moving day next week), I will attend every Columbus Westside Running Club (CWRC) Saturday training run, for which I am the 11:00 minute pace leader. We have already started our spring training season.
  • I will attend three out of four CRC speed workouts each month. The Wednesday night speed sessions with Columbus Running Company (CRC) were a big reason why I got close to some new PRs in 2017. I need these workouts in my life. But I also know that life happens, so I am setting the goal of making it to three sessions per month, starting after my move.
  • I will pace my first marathon. I love pacing half marathons and kept telling myself I couldn't pace a full marathon because I'm inconsistent. But really, that was just an excuse. If I can pace a 3:00 half, I can pace a 6:00 full. I'll do so on my birthday weekend at Carmel Marathon in Indiana.
  • I will run in at least 1 new country. At this time, I'm targeting the Beer Lovers' Marathon in Liege, Belgium. It's in May, so I need to figure this out soon. Another possibility is the Reykjavik Marathon (Iceland!!!) in August.
  • I will attempt PRs in the 5K, 10K and Half Marathon. I came very close in 2017 before I was injured, so I know it is possible. I'm not setting a PR goal for the marathon, but if I can do it for these other distances, the marathon will follow.
  • I will lock in two World Marathon Majors races for 2019. No more hoping to be selected via lottery/ballot. When Tokyo Marathon charity registration opens, I will apply. And I will also contact Marathon Tours about running London. I'm not going to think about Boston yet.
  • I will take on my first coaching client. I do not have a solid plan for how I will incorporate coaching into my life. But I don't want to lose the knowledge I gained in RRCA Coaching Level 1 class. My first client will most likely be a family member.

What am I NOT putting down as a goal?

  • No more vague goals like "work on consistency" will cut it. Only specific, measureable goals.
  • No strength training goal, but I plan to work this into my training plan anyway.
  • No goal for number or type of races. I will let the above goals guide me, and schedule races that fit into that plan as it shapes up.
  • I am not planning to pace as many races as the last couple years. As much as I love pacing, I need to focus on myself this running year.
I think I can do this. On the surface, these goals may seem easy, but achieving them would put me in my best running shape in over 5 years. That's something. And the international race goals? Those will enrich my life, as I am energized and fulfilled by travel. I just need to stay injury-free, and all of this will be mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Hong Kong Marathon Race Report

2018 Running Recap